Gillian Mckeith is a nutrition and health writer and a tv presenter. This one-day detox program was given by her in her best-selling book "You Are What You Eat", but you can follow it for more days if you like. It is quite easy to follow compared to other detox diets and it develops healthy habits that are good to adopt in your everyday lifestyle.
As Gillian states, our body has natural functions that remove the toxins like when urinating, sweating, or defecating. But in modern society, with all the chemicals that exist: radiation, pollution etc., our bodies get overloaded with toxins and a detox program really helps (even if it is a one or two-day program). You can always choose to do it for just a day and repeat it on a regular basis, like once a week or once a month or just twice a year, depending on your needs.
According to this cleansing program, the best detox foods are:
• Fruit or vegetable juices
• Raw vegetable and green leafs
• Whole grains, pulses and seeds
For this detox you will need:
• A juicer and a blender
• A body brush
• Mild exercise (stretching, walking, dancing, swimming, yoga, pilates etc)
When on this detox you MUST NOT consume:
• Salt & Pepper
• Cooking oil
• Soft drinks
• Fried foods
• Meat (red and white)
• Medication (unless you have a special condition in which case you would need the advice of a specialist)
While on this detox you should also take:
• 2 teaspoons of one green superfood (Spirulina or Chlorella or Barley Grass or Wild Blue-Green Algae or Wheat Grass). You must choose one.
• Digestive enzymes
• 1 tablespoon or flaxseed oil or flaxseeds
• Silybum or Milk Thistle (2 capsules a day and you should keep on taking them for about two weeks, no matter for how many days you follow the detox program.)
All of the above can be found in organic health stores or pharmacies.
The Detox Program
You may adjust the times according to your schedule, but it is recommended to start your day early in the morning and go to bed early at night.
7:00 – First thing when you wake up you should drink warm water with fresh lemon juice.
7:30 - One tablespoon of flaxseed oil or flaxseeds that you will have soaked in boiling water from the night before. In the morning you strain it and drink the water.
8:00 – For breakfast you may choose one of the choices listed below:
• Fruit. As much as you like. Try to avoid oranges since they are too acidic. If you choose grapes, don’t mix them with any other fruit.
• Miso soup
• Vegetable juice made with 1 cucumber, ¼ ginger root, 4 celery stalks, 100 gr alfalfa sprouts, 3 stalks of parsley and 1 carrot.
9:30 – One or two cups of herbal tea (Nettle, Dandelion, Chamomile, Sage, or Echinacea)
10:00 – Fruit juice. Any fruit combination you like. If it’s cold or you are dealing with circulation problems or have a weak spleen, it is better to replace the juice with a warm fruit-cream (6 apples and 2 pears peeled, cut in smaller pieces, lightly steamed and creamed in the food processor).
12:30 – Lunch. You may choose one of the choices listed below:
• Raw mixed salad with sprouts
• Raw soup with cucumber and mint (recipe given below)
• Raw sauerkraut
• Cereal grains (quinoa, millet, rice etc). Once you boil them, you mix them with any of the following aromatic herbs: dill, chives, chervil or dandelion (taraxacum). You serve it with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, lettuce, celery or Brussels sprouts.
14:00 – Herbal tea
14:30 – Gillian’s detox smoothie. Choose one combination from the list that follows:
• 6 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 apple
• ½ beetroot, 2 carrots, 1 celery stalk, ½ cucumber
• 2 cucumbers, ½ beetroot, 1 stalk of dill
• 2 cucumbers, 4 celery stalks, ¼ ginger root, 1 stalk of coriander or basil
• 1 hand-full of parsley, 1 kale, 5 carrots and a small piece of ginger
• 2 celery stalks, 1 hand-full of parsley, 1 garlic clove, 5 carrots and 100gr alfalfa sprouts (optional)
15:00 - Herbal tea
15:30 - Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or raw sauerkraut
16:00 – Gillian’s vegetable juice (with 6 whole carrots, 1 ripe avocado, 10 basil leafs, 1 apple, juice from half a lemon)
17:30 – Supper. A large raw salad with a hand-full of sprouts. You can add a small portion of cereal grains if you feel hungry.
18:30 – Broth rich in potassium (recipe follows).
19:30 – 1 cup of warm water with lemon juice
20:15 – Dry body-brushing. Begin from the feet and start going up. You try to make big, soft movements with the brush, always towards the heart.
20:30 – Bath time! Fill up your bathtub with warm water and add:
• 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil
• 3-4 drops of olibanum and myrrh essential oils
If you get hungry again, you may eat some lettuce or celery. Try to go to sleep early (it would be great if you could do that around 21:30, 22:30 the latest!).
Raw cucumber soup with mint
Juice of 3 cucumbers and 2 celery stalks
1 chopped cucumber
¼ cup chopped mint
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped leek
Put all your ingredients in a blender or food processor, until smooth.
Broth rich in potassium
2 large potatoes
1 cup beetroot (optional)
4 celery stalks (with leafs)
1 cup parsley
1 cup turnips
If your vegetable is organic you may wash it well and keep their skin. Fill a big pot with 1,8 lt water. Cut your vegetable straight in the pot and let it boil. Once they start boiling, bring the heat down to low and let it slowly cook for a couple of hours. Strain it and drink the broth.